At Unchained Capital, our mission is to help bitcoin holders achieve unprecedented financial freedom and control. Unchained products include originating loans backed by bitcoin, providing multi-signature vaults utilizing collaborative custody, and buying bitcoin directly to vaults with keys that you control. We’re looking for a Back-End Engineer to help us expand our product offerings and make multisig self-custody simpler for all bitcoiners.
The Back-End Engineer role offers an opportunity to bring simplicity and reliability to customers using multisig to secure their bitcoin. There are few comparables to the work we’re doing, so a creative mind who will collaborate with product managers and designers on novel solutions is a must. Private key ownership and usage is at the center of everything we do at Unchained Capital. Whether a company is managing its treasury or an individual is holding for the future, we believe in customers participating in their private key security. This presents hard problems to solve that include solutions directly tied to bitcoin’s multisig properties and more traditional software permission controls.
You’ll have the opportunity to do a lot at Unchained Capital. You can expect in your first year:
First Month: Get onboarded and learn about our current roadmap and plans. You’ll spend a lot of time with your engineering colleagues to better understand our Flask back-end application and unique challenges therein. While learning is the focus, you can expect to ship your first contribution this month.
Next 3 Months: You’ll be more connected to a variety of specific customer needs and focus on one in particular. You’ll navigate limitations imposed by our current schema and API coupled with bitcoin’s protocol and work towards solving something big for customers. That could mean addressing performance issues for an existing API call, creating something new, or adding an integration.
Next 8 Months: You’ll really understand what we’re doing. You’ll help us refactor old sections of our applications as well as add new features in order to accommodate a constantly changing bitcoin landscape, and you’ll ship secure products that make bitcoiners deliriously happy.
What you’ll do:
- Design, implement, and deliver new cross-application features, including making major changes to our existing schemas or APIs
- Put to use, or obtain, domain specific knowledge of bitcoin and financial services that help you anticipate architecture and product decisions
- Work closely with Full Stack and Front-End engineers to improve our UI and UX
- Become intimately familiar with our existing APIs for multiple multisig centric financial services products
- Contribute to both our proprietary applications and open source projects
- Participate in PR reviews and feedback for your colleagues
- Take on projects from ideation through delivery
What we want to see:
- Minimum 4 years experience programming (Python preferred)
- Experience with UNIX-like servers and the command line
- Experience with Docker and containers
- Experience with backend applications including schema and API design (Flask ecosystem, PostgreSQL, SQLAlchemy, messaging queues, &c.)
- Experience working with bitcoin at the protocol level (redeem scripts, xpubs, signatures) is nice to have but not required.
- Passion for building solid, reliable, secure applications
- Excitement about going deep into a bitcoin-focused project
To apply, please send your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org